~ 79. The Pandavas Enter the Gambling Hall ~


When the Pandavas arrived at Hastinapura, King Dhritarashtra greeted them warmly, ushering them into the new palace, while Draupadi went to the women's quarters to greet Queen Kunti and the other royal ladies.
"I cannot see the splendor myself," said Dhritarashtra, "but everyone tells me the palace is exceedingly beautiful. Tell me what you think, Yudhishthira!"
"It is indeed very beautiful," said Yudhishthira.
Then Yudhishthira saw Duryodhana, accompanied by his uncle Shakuni.
"Are you ready for our little gambling match?" Duryodhana asked, smiling. "Shakuni is going to play in my stead."
Hiding his surprise, Yudhishthira replied calmly, "I am ready."



Inspired byThe Mahabharata: A Shortened Modern Prose Version by R. K. Narayan
Notes: This story is from Chapter 7: Stakes Unmatched.

No comments:

Post a Comment