~ 122. Duryodhana Insists on War ~


Duryodhana rejected all proposals of peace. "I will kill the Pandavas and rule the world," he declared, "or the Pandavas will kill me. There is no other way."
"My guru Parusharama taught me the mantra of the Brahmastra," Karna added. "With this weapon I can destroy the Pandavas myself."
"Your conceit deceives you," Bhishma said to Karna. "You know nothing of what awaits you."
"I know that I will not fight so long as you are fighting!" Karna shouted at Bhishma, and he then stormed out of the assembly.
Bhishma scoffed. "With such allies, Duryodhana brings disaster upon us all." 



Inspired byThe Mahabharata: A Shortened Modern Prose Version by R. K. Narayan
Notes: This story is from Chapter 12: War or Peace? In Pattanaik's Jaya, he remarks that Bhishma felt such contempt for Karna that he never looked at him when speaking to him (p. 220).

No comments:

Post a Comment