Vishnu in the War with the Asuras

After telling Manthara about her past life as a gandharvi, Rama spoke of his own past.
"I was Vishnu," Rama said, "and I was battling the asuras, defending heaven from their attack. Shukracharya was the guru of the asuras, and his mother, Kavyamata, was sheltering the asuras in her home. In my rage, I cut off her head. Her husband, the great sage Bhrigu, cursed me: because I denied him the company of his wife, he cursed me to be without the company of my wife. When that calamity befalls me, I will know that I brought it upon myself."


Inspired by: Sita: An Illustrated Retelling of the Ramayana by Devdutt Pattanaik
Notes: This story is on p. 99 of the book. This story comes from the Puranas, specifically, the Devi Bhagavatam, which explains the Vishnu used the Sudarshanachakra to behead Kavya's mother. Kavyamata is also known by the name Usanas.

No comments:

Post a Comment