Anansi and the Cow Legs

"I need to get me a cow!" said Anansi. So he took four pieces of wood and dressed them up like cow legs. Then he buried them, hooves up, near Tiger's house.
Then Anansi shouted, "Cow, where are you?"
Tiger heard him, and he saw the legs sticking up. "Your cow fell in a ditch!" Tiger shouted back. "I'll pull it out for you!"
"Careful!" yelled Anansi. "That cow has delicate legs."
Tiger scoffed, and then he pulled.
The legs came off!
"You killed my cow!" Anansi shouted at Tiger.
And Tiger had to give Anansi a cow as compensation.


Inspired byListen to This Story by Grace Hallworth.
Notes: This story appears on p. 33 of the book: Compere Anansi and the Cows. In Hallworth's story, Anansi finds a wild pig skeleton and dresses it up; I had him just make fake cow legs out of wood.

1 comment: