~ 184. The Fly and the Beehive ~


Searching for honey, a fly flew into a garden where there was a beehive, but the hive was closed.
"I'll pay a copper penny to anyone who lets me in!" shouted the fly.
Someone let the fly into the hive, and she paid with a penny.
But as soon as the fly was inside, her feet got stuck in the honey. 
As she flapped her wings, she became even more stuck. 
"Cruel tyranny! This is poison, not honey!" she cried. "I paid a penny to come in, but now I would pay ten pennies if I could just get out."


Inspired by: The Conference of the Birds by Farid Ud-Din Attar, translated by S. C. Nott
Notes: This is in section 41: The Fly and the Honey. The story says she paid an "obol" which is a Greek coin; there were bronze and copper obols, six obols to a drachma.



No comments:

Post a Comment