41. Majnun and the Tree


Layla's husband took her away to escape Majnun.
"I'll come back to you, Majnun!" she promised.
Majnun waited, standing propped against a tree. His hands clutched the branches; they became branches. His body became the tree.
"That tree is haunted!" people said. "It keeps saying Laaay-laaa."
When Layla returned, she learned of the ghost in the tree and realized it must be Majnun. She ran to the tree.
"I'm Layla!" she cried.
Majnun's voice echoed, "I'm Layla!"
"No, I'm Layla," she said.
"You are Layla?" he said. "Then I am ... not."
And he died.



Inspired byBig Tales by Hazrat Inayat Khan, compiled and edited by Mansur Johnson. the Hazrat Inayat Khan Study Database.
Notes: This is a story in Part 1 of the book: Majnun and Leila. You can find out more about the love story of Layla and Majnun at Wikipedia.


No comments:

Post a Comment