~ 101. Abu Said's Recitations ~


Abu Said's disciples were worried by his behavior.
"When he recites from the Quran, he makes mistakes," said one disciple. "He keeps leaving out verses."
Another remarked, "Perhaps his mind is on other things."
"Or perhaps he is ill," said another.
Finally, they decided to ask Abu Said if something was the matter, and Abu Said just smiled. "Yes, I know I am skipping some verses. They are the verses about God's wrath."
The disciples still looked puzzled, so he explained. "For me, there is only God's mercy; I leave God's wrath to others. His mercy is what I recite."


Inspired byUnder the Sufi's Cloak: Stories of Abu Said and His Mystical Teaching by Mohammad Ali Jamnia and Mojdeh Bayat
Notes: This story is on p. 101 of the book. You can find out more about Abu Said at Wikipedia.




No comments:

Post a Comment