~ 77. The Cabbage and the Cooking-Pot ~



Nasruddin and his friends were sitting in the coffeehouse, boasting.
"I once grew a cucumber as long as my arm," one man said.
"That's nothing!" said another. "I once grew a watermelon as big as a sheep."
"Ha!" said another. "I've got you both beat: I once grew a head of cabbage that was as large as an elephant."
Then Nasruddin said, "Just yesterday I bought a cooking-pot as big as a polo field."
"That's ridiculous!" the men shouted at Nasruddin. "Why would anyone want a pot that big?"
"In order to cook that head of cabbage!" replied Nasruddin, smiling.



Inspired byMulla's Donkey and Other Friends by Mehdi Nakosteen
Notes: This story is on p. 110 of the book.This type of tall-tale boasting is found all over the world. Nakosteen's story just has the cabbage and the pot; I added the other details.


No comments:

Post a Comment