Nasruddin's Vinegar

Nasruddin's neighbor came and knocked at his door.
"I need your help, Nasruddin!" he said. "I've just been to the doctor and he has told me to prepare a poultice with forty-year-old vinegar. Do you have some forty-year-old vinegar?"
"Well," Nasruddin admitted reluctantly, "the fact is I do have some forty-year-old vinegar."
"Please give me some," said the neighbor. "I only need a small amount."
"No," said Nasruddin. "I can't do that."
"Why not?" asked the neighbor.
"If I had been in the habit of giving away vinegar to everyone who asked, my vinegar wouldn't be forty years old."


Inspired byNasreddin Hodja compiled by Alpay Kabacali.
Notes: This story is on p. 2 of the book. Most versions of this story are about vinegar, but sometimes it is wine instead.




No comments:

Post a Comment