~ 74. Nasruddin and the Porter ~



Nasruddin needed to hire a porter to take home four large sacks of grain he had bought at the market.
Just outside the market, he found a porter with a wagon.
"Good day, sir!" said Nasruddin.
"Good day to you!" replied the porter.
"How much will you charge to take me and my purchases to my house?" Nasruddin asked.
"That will be four copper coins for you," said the porter. "No charge for the purchases."
"Excellent!" said Nasruddin as he started heaving the sacks of grain onto the wagon. "You just take my purchases home, and I'll follow on foot."



Inspired byMulla's Donkey and Other Friends by Mehdi Nakosteen
Notes: This story is on p. 115 of the book. Nakosteen tells a more modern version with a taxi-driver and suitcases; I switched it to the more old-fashioned Nasruddin with sacks of grain and a wagon. Compare the story of Nasruddin selling the donkey: The Donkey and the Cat.


No comments:

Post a Comment