~ 44. Anansi's Knife and Fork ~


Anansi was in trouble again. 
The master tied him up and went to get a whip.
Lion came by. "Who tied you up?" he asked.
"Master told me to use a knife and fork," said Anansi, "but I don't know how. He's bringing some food, and he's going to make me use a knife and a fork."
"I can use a knife and fork!" shouted Lion. "I'll eat the food!"
So Lion untied Anansi, and Anansi tied Lion.
Then the master came back and he started whipping Lion.
"Wait!" shouted Lion. "Where's my food?"
The master whipped Lion even more.


Inspired byJamaica Anansi Stories by Martha Warren Beckwith
Notes: This is story 2b in the book. Beckwith heard this story from George Parkes; additional information in Beckwith's notes. This story is a continuation of Anansi and the Peanut-Patch. In the end of the story, the Lion runs off and it becomes an aetiological story: that's why Lion lives in the bush now.


5 comments:

  1. An inspired way of conning the Lion into untying him and taking his place, much like in Brer Rabbit earns a dollar a minute in which Brer Bear is conned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate that story mate, Brer Bear is a heroic guy who never catches a break.

      Delete
    2. Yes I love the stories where the strong animal willingly lets the weak animal tie him up! It proves that there is no match for cunning!

      Delete
  2. Poor lion. He's innocent and gets framed for something he didn't do!!

    ReplyDelete