~ 136. Anansi, Tiger, and the King's Daughter ~


Anansi had made the king angry.
"I'll boil you to death!" said the king, and he tied Anansi to a tree while he went to get the soup-pot.
Tiger came by. "Who tied you up?" he asked.
"The king tied me up!" said Anansi. "He's going to force me to marry his daughter."
"I want to marry the king's daughter!" shouted Tiger. "You tie me there!"
So Tiger untied Anansi, and Anansi tied Tiger.
Then the king came back. "This pot's not big enough!" he said when he saw Tiger there, so he beat Tiger with the soup ladle instead.


Inspired byJamaica Anansi Stories by Martha Warren Beckwith
Notes: This is story 2a in the book. Beckwith heard this story from William Forbes; additional information in Beckwith's notes. In the original story, it's the king's daughters who come back and beat Tiger. He gets away, but Anansi tricks him again so that he falls into a sink-hole.


No comments:

Post a Comment