~ 144. Nasruddin on the Way to the Cemetery ~


"What is it like to be dead?" Nasruddin asked his wife.
"How should I know?" she replied. "The dead are cold; that's all I know."
Chopping wood the next day, Nasruddin suddenly felt very cold. "I must be dead," he thought. Then he lay down, because that's what the dead do.
People found him there. "This poor man is dead!" they said, and carried him off to the cemetery.
As they argued at a crossroads about which way to go, Nasruddin spoke up. "Perhaps I can help," he said. "If you don't know the way, I can give you directions."


Inspired byThe Little Book of Sufi Parables by Nico Neruda
Notes: This is story 12 in the book. This is a popular Nasruddin story found in many variations. Compare this version: Nasruddin's Sad News.


No comments:

Post a Comment