The Disciple who Wept

Once when Nasruddin was lecturing, he noticed that one of the disciples was weeping loudly.
"What's wrong?" Nasruddin asked him. "Why are you weeping? What did I say that has caused you such grief?"
"It's not what you said," replied the disciple. "It's how you say it. I had the most wonderful donkey, but he was killed by a wolf. When I hear your voice, it makes me remember the way my donkey brayed as the wolf tore him limb from limb. You sound just like my poor little donkey did, and the memory brings tears to my eyes."


Inspired byMulla's Donkey and Other Friends by Mehdi Nakosteen
Notes: This story is on p. 17 of the book. Compare the story of Nasruddin and the imam: Nasruddin's Tears of Sorrow. There is a similar story in Jacques de Vitry 56 about a priest whose words make a woman in the congregation begin to weep.

No comments:

Post a Comment