Ravana Consoles Shurpanakha

Ravana brought the widows of his enemies with him to Lanka; they would be his new concubines.
His sister Shurpanakha was also a widow. "My husband died in battle," she screamed, "pierced by your own arrow! I am now a widow, brother, and you are now my enemy."
"Calm yourself," said Ravana. "I hurl arrows in every direction when I fight. Accidents happen. I will honor you with gifts! Take Dandaka forest to be your own; go feast on the humans you find there, and forget your troubles."
So Shurpanakha went to the forest, where she found... Rama and Sita.


Inspired by: The Ramayana (Uttara Kanda, 24).
Notes: The Thai Ramakien offers a more detailed account of Vidyutjihva's death; here's a summary: Totsakan told his nephew Chiuha to guard Longka. But Chiuha fell asleep after wrapping his tongue around the city to hide it. Totsakan was angry when he could not find the city; he threw his discus in the air and it cut through the tongue, so Chiuha drowned in his own blood. Samanakha was furious that her husband was dead.


No comments:

Post a Comment