Brer Rabbit and the Briar-Patch

Brer Fox finally caught Brer Rabbit. "Time for rabbit barbecue!" he chuckled.
"Barbecue's good," said Brer Rabbit. "Anything but the briar-patch!"
"No kindling for fire, so I'm gonna hang you."
"Hanging's fine. Just don't fling me in the briar-patch!"
"No rope for hanging; better skin you."
"Skin me now, so long as it's not in the briar-patch."
"No knife for skinning; I might as well drown you."
"Drown me please! Anything but the briar-patch."
So Fox finally picked the Rabbit up and flung him in the briar-patch.
Rabbit hooted happily, "Bred and born in a briar-patch!"
Then he scampered away.


Inspired byUncle Remus: His Songs and Sayings by Joel Chandler Harris: How Mr. Rabbit Was Too Sharp for Mr. Fox.

Notes: This incident follows Fox catching Rabbit with the tar-baby.





3 comments:

  1. The most traditional of all the Brer Rabbit stories and one in which he uses his typical cunning and preys on the gullibility of his enemy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He reminds me of you mate, and that's not meant as a compliment!!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete