~ 194. The Introverted Philosopher ~



A philosopher had a country estate where he kept to himself, walking in his gardens, reading in his library, writing in his study. He saw no one, and that was how he liked it.
One day a neighbor came to see him on certain practical matters. "I am astounded by this solitary life of yours," he said. "Aren't you lonely? Don't you require conversation? Wouldn't you like some companionship? I am glad to come visit you, and I can bring my friends too!"
"You seem to misunderstand," replied the philosopher. "I did not feel at all alone... until you arrived."

Inspired by: Fables of Aesop and Other Eminent Mythologists by Roger L'Estrange, 327.
Notes: This fable is not part of the classical Aesop tradition; find out more here.


Here is an illustration by Bewick:



No comments:

Post a Comment