The Hawk and the Partridge

"I used to eat partridges, it's true," said the hawk to the partridge, "but now I will be your friend and protect you from my fellow hawks."
The partridge cautiously accepted his offer, and they spent some happy days in each other's company.
The hawk then became ill and could not hunt for food, so he looked hungrily at the partridge. "Why must I sit here in the hot sun while you enjoy the tree's shade!"
"But it's night-time!" said the partridge. "There's no sun at all!"
"Do you dare contradict me?" snarled the hawk.
He then ate the partridge.


Inspired by: The Tortoise and the Geese, and Other Fables of Bidpai by Maude Barrows Dutton.
Notes: Compare the wolf in Aesop's fable who seeks an excuse for killing the lamb: The Wolf and the Lamb at the Stream.

Here is an illustration by E. Boyd Smith:




No comments:

Post a Comment