~ 121. The Gnat and the Bull ~



There was a tiny gnat buzzing and whizzing through the air, looking for a place to land.
Then, the gnat noticed a bull.
"Begging your pardon, Mister Bull," squeaked the gnat as he descended to land on one of the bull's horns. "Let me rest here just a moment, and I'll fly away soon so that I do not prove to be too much of a burden."
The bull chuckled. "Oh, Mister Gnat," said the bull, "I didn't even notice when you landed, and I doubt I'll notice when you go."
The gnat, indignant, went flying away without another word.

Inspired by: Fables of Aesop and Other Eminent Mythologists by Roger L'Estrange, 450.
Notes: This is Perry 137.

Here is an illustration by Arthur Rackham:


All Stories, Aesop, Aesop: LEstrange, Illustrated:yes, Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment