~ 40. The Fox Seeks an Eye Doctor ~



The fox wanted to eat the rooster, so he lay down in the barnyard, groaning loudly to get the rooster's attention.
"Please, dear rooster," he cried, "remove this thorn that lodged in my eye when I crawled through a hedge."
"Dear fox," replied the rooster, suspecting trouble, "if I remove the thorn from the one eye, I might accidentally poke out your other eye. I'm not much of a doctor after all, but let me go fetch the watchdog. He'll know what to do!"
At the mention of the dog, the fox immediately recovered his strength and took off running.

Inspired by: Fables of Aesop and Other Eminent Mythologists by Roger L'Estrange, 432.
Notes: This fable is not part of the classical Aesop tradition; find out more here.

Here is an illustration from the French Roman de Renart by Pierre de Saint-Cloud.




No comments:

Post a Comment