The Cat and the Mouse

As a cat sat thinking about how hungry she was, she heard laughter. 
She looked around. Nothing.
She looked up. A mouse on the roofbeam was laughing at her!
"You! Mouse!" shouted the cat. "What's wrong with you?"
"Nothing's wrong with me!" the mouse shouted back.
"Can't you run?" the cat replied.
"I can run," said the mouse, and he ran along the roofbeam. Then his foot slipped; he almost fell.
"Careful!" cried the cat. "You might fall."
"Curse you, Cat!" replied the mouse. "You want me to fall, but I won't fall and you won't eat me, not today!"


Inspired by: "A Mouse Mocking a Cat" in Tashelhiyt Berber Folktales by Harry Stroomer, 2001.
Notes: You can read the original story online. In the original story, the cat notices the mouse because bits of straw are falling on him from the ceiling.



No comments:

Post a Comment