The Elephant and the Chameleon

Elephant mocked Chameleon for being small and weak.
"I'm stronger than you!" shouted Chameleon. "Come back tomorrow, and I'll show you!" 
"Agreed!" said Elephant, laughing at the boastful little creature.
During the night, Chameleon dug a pit and covered it with twigs and leaves.
The next day Chameleon said, "Watch me jump up and pound my way into the earth. I bet you can't do this!" Then Chameleon jumped up and landed in the hole he had dug. 
Elephant was so terrified at this show of strength that he ran away.
Elephants still run away whenever they see a Chameleon.



Inspired by: "Chameleon Has an Adventure" in Talking Animals by Wilfrid Hambly, 1949.
Notes: You can read the original story online. The story comes from Angola.

1 comment:

  1. That elephant is so gullible! It's how clever you are that matters, not how strong you are!

    ReplyDelete