The Rabbit, the Elephant, and their Garden Hoes

Rabbit and Elephant decided to garden together.
"You're working very slowly," Elephant said.
"My hoe is blunt!" said Rabbit. "Let me sharpen it on your head." Then Rabbit hit Elephant on the head several times with his hoe. "That's much better," Rabbit said, and he worked faster. The hoe wasn't any sharper; Rabbit had just wanted to hit Elephant on the head.
The next day Elephant said, "Now I need to sharpen my hoe on your head!"
"No!" Rabbit shouted. "I'm too little; you would hurt me."
"But you hurt me yesterday!" roared Elephant, and then Rabbit ran away, laughing.


Inspired by: "The Hare and the Elephant (Again)" in Folklore of the Banyanja (published in Folklore) by Madeleine Holland, 1916.
Notes: You can read the original story online. In a follow-up to the story, Elephant catches Rabbit: The Rabbit and the Wildcat.

No comments:

Post a Comment