The Hyena and the Squirrel

Hyena and Squirrel were friends.
"I'm hungry!" said Hyena one day, so Squirrel gave Hyena some nuts.
"Nuts are no good," Hyena said, whining. "I need meat. Or honey! Bring me meat or honey!"
Squirrel had no meat, so he brought Hyena some honeycomb.
Hyena squealed happily and began eating.
Eagle heard Hyena squealing and landed nearby. "Give me some!" he said.
"No!" snarled Hyena.
"Then I'll feed you to my chicks," shouted Eagle, grabbing Hyena in his talons.
Hyena struggled and finally broke free, but when she fell to the ground, she injured her hind legs. 
Hyena still limps.


Inspired by: "Why Does Hyena Limp?" in Talking Animals by Wilfrid Hambly, 1949. These are Ovimbundu stories from Angola.
Notes: You can read the original story online.

No comments:

Post a Comment