The Rabbit and the Hornet

Rabbit said to Hornet, "You're so slender. If I were to grab your waist, you would break in two."
"Not true," said Hornet. "Grab my waist, I'll carry you far up into the sky."
Then Rabbit grabbed Hornet's waist and squeezed, while Hornet rose higher and higher into the sky.
Rabbit was amazed. 
After some time passed, Rabbit said, "Dawn is breaking; let us go home."
Rabbit again grabbed Hornet's waist and descended.
When they got near the ground, Rabbit squeezed harder and harder, trying to break Hornet in two.
"Luckily for you," said Hornet, "you were wrong about me."



Inspired by: "The Hare And The Hornet" in The Lango: A Nilotic Tribe of Uganda by J. H. Driberg, 1923.
Notes: You can read the original story online. This story is a bit unmotivated; hopefully I can find another version that will help develop some of the story tension more clearly.



No comments:

Post a Comment