Bushcat and Anansi

Bushcat tried again. "I never met a creature so ignorant!" she said. "I can count all my toes: one, two, three, four, five. I can't believe you're so uneducated that you don't know how to count your own toes."
This made Anansi angry. "I can count them!" he shouted back. "One, two, three, four, five, six..." and when he said "six," he fell down dead.
Bushcat gobbled him up.
Then, in the night, Anansi chewed inside her. "You bit me," he said; "I bite you."
"Hoo-i!" Bushcat yowled. "Anansi's killing me! Hoo-i!"
That's why Bushcat yowls "hoo-i" in the night.


Inspired by: "Why the Bush-Cat Calls Hoo-I Hoo-I at Night" in We Two in West Africa by Decima Moore and F. G. Guggisberg, 1909.
Notes: This is a continuation of The Spider's Toes. The original story does not say exactly how Bushcat made Anansi angry, so I had her insult his intelligence.

No comments:

Post a Comment