Chameleon, Rat, and the Harvest

The animals were excited because they were about to enjoy a bountiful harvest.
"Isn't it wonderful?" Chameleon said to his friend, Rat. "There will be so much food!"
"Hush!" replied Rat. "Keep quiet! Don't talk about that."
But someone did talk. The humans found out, and they planted snares and brought their guns. When the animals came to harvest their crops, some were trapped and some were shot.
Chameleon saw Rat trapped in a snare. "Don't blame me!" Chameleon said. "I kept quiet. Someone talked, but it wasn't me, it wasn't me!"
Then Chameleon went away, leaving his friend behind.


Inspired by: "Not My Fault!" in Where animals talk: west African folk lore tales by Robert H. Nassau, 1912.
Notes: You can read the original story online. This is a story of the Benga people. one of the Bantu peoples of Equatorial Guinea and Gabon. Yongolokodi is the Chameleon and Ko is the Wild Rat.

No comments:

Post a Comment