Partridge and Rabbit's Hiding Contest

"I'm better at hiding than you," Rabbit said to Partridge.
"Show me!" Partridge replied. "Go hide, then whoop, and I'll come find you."
Rabbit hid in the bushes, his eyes open wide, watching. Then he whooped.
Partridge found him. "Your big eye shines a mile!" he said.
Then Partridge told Rabbit where he would hide. "You still won't find me," he said.
When Rabbit heard Partridge whoop, he went to the place. He felt all around in the leaves. "I give up!" he said.
"You're right on top of me," Partridge laughed. "Move, and I'll get up."
Rabbit was beat.


Inspired by: Gullah Animal Tales from Daufuskie Island, South Carolina as told by Albert H. Stoddard, edited by Will Killhour.
Notes: This story is "Buh Partridge Outhides Buh Rabbit" (p. 10). This is not the only time that Partridge is able to get the better of Rabbit.

No comments:

Post a Comment