Rabbit, Lamb, and Bear

Brother Rabbit was stealing lambs to eat for supper.
Brother Sheep said, "Brother Rabbit, do you know who's stealing our lambs?"
"I sometimes smell roast lamb at Brother Bear's house," Rabbit said. 
Then he went to Bear's house with his fiddle. "I'll teach you a song, and we'll go play for Brother Sheep," said Rabbit. "I'll sing, 'Did you? Did you?' and you'll sing, 'Yes, by God, I did.'"
They played, they sang, and when Bear sang "Yes, by God, I did," all the sheep jumped on Bear and started beating on him, while Rabbit grabbed a lamb and ran.


Inspired by: Every Tongue Got to Confess, stories collected by Zora Neale Hurston (from a manuscript thought lost, but now found and published).
Notes: This story is on p. 256, "Rabbit and Bear," which Hurston heard from Edward Morris. 

 

2 comments:

  1. Haha Brer Bear is strong but stupid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which is why I sympathise with him so much. We can't all be clever but we can at least do something about our muscles by going to the gym. Strong guys FTW

      Delete