King Solomon and the Pigeon

For the #RamadanReadathon at Twitter, I want to highlight some story collections that people might enjoy reading, featuring free full-text books online; here are all the books I've featured so far, including a 100-word story for each one too.

So, today's book is Folklore of the Holy Land: Moslem, Christian and Jewish by J. E. Hanauer. See details below, and here is a story from that collection:



King Solomon and the Pigeon

King Solomon heard two pigeons outside his window.
"King Solomon is nothing! said the pigeon-husband. "I could flap my wings and knock down his palace!"
"Come here!" Solomon shouted. "What did you say?"
"Forgive me, King!" said the pigeon. "I was just boasting to impress my wife."
"Well, I forgive you," said the king laughing.
The bird flew back out, and his wife asked, "What did the king want?"
"He begged me not to knock down his palace!" boasted the pigeon.
Enraged, King Solomon turned both birds into stone, a warning that husbands should not be boastful to their wives.



You can find a longer version of that story, and many other stories besides, in the online book, which is available at Internet Archive, Sacred Texts, Hathi Books, and Google Books.




No comments:

Post a Comment