The Threatening Shepherd

A shepherd was about to shear a sheep.
"You take all my milk!" shouted the sheep. "You don't need to take all my wool too."
"You ungrateful creature!" the shepherd shouted back. "I'll show you just what I can take if I want."
With those words, the shepherd seized one of the sheep's lambs and butchered it on the spot.
"Well," said the sheep, "now you've gone and done your worst, and I'm still here."
"What makes you think I won't butcher you as well?" asked the shepherd, who then sheared the sheep, and the sheep said not a word.


Inspired by: Fables of Aesop and Other Eminent Mythologists by Roger L'Estrange, 335.
Notes: This fable is not part of the classical Aesop tradition; find out more here.

Here is an illustration from a medieval bestiary:




No comments:

Post a Comment